It has been pretty dry here. The grass is brownish and reminds me of grass at the end of summer in Idaho, dry and not very appealing. The dry weather has a perk though; it seems it has been dry enough for our pumpkins to grow. They normally don't but we have enjoyed harvesting March pumpkins. Because Jack-O-Lanterns are a bit out of season we opted to eat our pumpkins, and wow, we were in for a surprise. I haven't ever cooked pumpkin before but it was really, really good. We ate it plain and in soups and loved it. I think I will have to try making a pie with what we have left just because I have never made one from scratch and think it would be worth the try. We have loved our yummy pumpkin soup, which Carter affectionately calls Dip Soup - because we dip bread in it.
We have also loved eating coconuts that we find at the beach and bananas that we grew in our yard. There is also a "sour pickle" tree. At least that is what our neighbor boy calls it. The sour pickles are extremely sour but fun to see and take a few bites from.
(Continuation June 2015):
We also had neighbors that shared papaya and mangoes and lots of turban squash! I have never cooked turban squash but ended up making "pumpkin" pie, "pumpkin" pudding, Dip Soup, muffins, and smoothies with it. We enjoyed it so much! The year round gardening here is great. Food is pretty expensive - especially produce - so free produce is always awesome. I haven't ever been good at gardening but it has been fun to do it. I hope to plant more.
 |
| Bananas! |
No comments:
Post a Comment